About Food & Wellness
CentroNía’s Food and Wellness department mission is to cook nutritious meals, educate adults and children to adopt healthy lifestyles, advocate for better food policies, and expanded this holistic model across communities. At CentroNía, we believe a healthy and active lifestyle is essential to achieving academic and social success, by positively impacting the physical and intellectual development of children and adults.
Adults, especially teachers and parents, play an essential role in helping young children develop lifelong habits that promote health and wellness. With that in mind, CentroNía created a holistic nutrition education program, Roots, that seeks to engage and educate, parents, teachers and directors of Early Childhood Education (ECE) centers about the importance of developing healthy behaviors early in life.
Why start young?
- Children develop life-long food preferences before the age of three.
- Half of obese children in the United States are already overweight by their second birthday.
- Children’s relationship to food impacts their development in various areas: physical, cognitive, emotional and social.
- Adult behavior, through feeding practices, impacts the way children react to internal cues of hunger and satiation, affecting their innate ability to self-regulate.
- Early childhood education centers provide the perfect platform to increase the availability and accessibility of a variety of foods helping young children explore new tastes and textures.