When children and families have the proper nutrition, they are best positioned to learn. CentroNía’s Food and Nutrition Department’s mission is to produce healthy meals for CentroNía’s community and to encourage children, parents and staff to adopt healthy lifestyles by making informed food choices.
Our “Eat Healthy, Live Healthy” is a multidisciplinary campaign devoted to improve the quality of life by providing nutritional education to children, parents, teachers and CentroNía‘s staff, where they can learn basics in nutrition and wellness, and become role models for the community.
Convinced that food is a crucial factor in the physical and intellectual development of children; our department provides CentroNía’s students and staff, homemade delicious and nutritious meals, prepared with local produce when available, a variety of whole grains, legumes and lean proteins. Our menus are low in fat, sugar and sodium and rich in fiber.
- In February 2011, DC Bilingual Public Charter Schools received the Gold Award with Distinction from the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture), the highest distinction for the “HealthierUS School Challenge” a voluntary initiative established in 2004, by the National School Lunch Program that have created healthier school environments through promoting of nutritions and physical activity. By cooking in house, the Food & Nutrition Department has created 4 more steady full time jobs, in our community.
- In June 8, 2011 the First Lady, Michelle Obama, chose CentroNía to launch her campaign “Let’s Move! Child Care", she see us a model for a great start
- Our nurse reported that since we started cooking at school, the number of children visiting her office with stomach aches has been reduced drastically! More and more children are willing to try new foods!
- Our children are asking parents to serve them salads at home
- By cooking in house, the Food & Nutrition Department has created 4 more steady full time jobs, in our community.